- News Brief
- Research & Policy
- Culture and Review
- Media Centre
Reach tens of thousands of people instantly by advertising with Ekklesia. Find out more
The Government plans to cut billions from support for disabled people and their families. Indeed, swingeing reductions, made worse by the 'economies' being imposed on and by local council, have already begun.
Current proposals include:
* Cutting 20 per cent from the budget for Disability Living Allowance (DLA). Disability Alliance estimates that over 700,000 disabled people could see their benefits reduced or removed. DLA helps disabled people with the extra costs of disability and without it more disabled people would be pushed into poverty. The cuts could have a knock-on impact on Carer’s Allowance, leaving thousands of families even worse off.
* Taking mobility payments away from disabled people living in residential care and children going to residential schools. Cutting these payments would trap many in their own homes.
* Cutting off payments of contributory Employment and Support Allowance after a year to people struggling to get back into work due to disability or serious illness.
The Hardest Hit campaign brings together disabled people and carers and organisations and groups who represent them and to send a clear, unmistakable message to Government, "You are hitting disabled people and their families the hardest: stop these cuts."
A full response to the Government’s plans, what they will mean for disabled people and what needs to change has been prepared by the Disability Alliance: http://www.disabilityalliance.org/dbc5.htm
The Disability Benefits Consortium (DBC) is a national coalition of over 40 different charities and other organisations committed to working towards a fair benefits system. Using their combined knowledge, experience and direct contact with disabled individuals and carers, they seek to ensure government policy reflects and meets the needs of all disabled people.
The members are: Action for Blind People, Action for M.E., Age UK, Arthritis Care, Breast Cancer Care, Carers UK, Child Poverty Action Group, Citizens Advice, Clic Sargent, Cystic Fibrosis Trust, Deafblind UK, Disability Alliance, Every Disabled Child Matters, Guide Dogs, Haemophilia Society, LASA, Leaning Disability Coalition, Leonard Cheshire Disability, Macmillan Cancer Support, Mencap, Meningitis Research Foundation, Mind, Motor Neurone Disease (MND) Association, MS Society, Muscular Dystrophy Campaign, National AIDS Trust, National Autistic Society (NAS), National Deaf Children’s Society, Parkinson’s UK, Rethink, Royal Association for Disability Rights (RADAR), Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID), Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB), RSI Action, Scope, Sense, Skill, Sue Ryder, TUC, United Response, Vitalise.
* More at: http://thehardesthit.wordpress.com/
* Broken of Britain: http://thebrokenofbritain.blogspot.com/
* Ekklesia research paper: 'Betraying disabled people and welfare' - http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/14675Tweet