Obama asked by NGOs to support arms embargo in South Sudan

By staff writers
January 10, 2015

US President Barack Obama should call for and support a comprehensive United Nations arms embargo on the parties to South Sudan’s brutal conflict, 29 South Sudanese and international human rights, humanitarian, and other NGOs have said in a letter to President Obama.

Thousands of civilians have been killed in the conflict, which began just over a year ago, in many cases targeted for their ethnicity or perceived political allegiances. An estimated 1.9 million people have been displaced, and massive looting and burning by both government and opposition forces has left towns and rural areas destroyed and abandoned.

“More weapons will mean more fuel to the fire, more attacks on civilians, arbitrary killings, rape, burnings and pillage,” said Geoffrey Duke, secretariat team leader at the South Sudan Action Network on Small Arms.

“President Obama should do everything he can to ensure that this year is not a repeat of the horrific last year for South Sudanese. Now is the time to take action.”

South Sudan’s conflict looks set to continue, and the organisations are concerned that further crimes under international law and serious human rights violations and abuses are likely.

Non-governmental organisations have been calling for an arms embargo on South Sudan since early 2014. The US is responsible for drafting resolutions and statements on South Sudan at the UN Security Council.

* The letter from 29 organisations to President Obama is available here (*.PDF Adobe Acrobat document): http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/AFR65/001/2015/en/2669648f-1b55-...

[Ekk/3]

Although the views expressed in this article do not necessarily represent the views of Ekklesia, the article may reflect Ekklesia's values. If you use Ekklesia's news briefings please consider making a donation to sponsor Ekklesia's work here.