Christian Aid has already released £100,000 for immediate emergency relief to help those affected by the earthquake in Haiti, and is working with other agencies and the UN to coordinate the distribution of aid on a far wider scale.
Haiti's capital "looks like a war zone", and one million people are without shelter following the devastating earthquake that shook the Caribbean nation, the ACT Alliance global network of churches and related agencies has warned.
Web and phone donations to the Haiti Earthquake Appeal over the past 24 hours have added £10m to the £2m already raised, the Disasters Emergency Committee coalition announced this morning (16 January 2010).
After a really difficult 72 hours, emergency assistance is beginning to get through to earthquake-ravaged Haiti, said the UK Disasters Emergency Committee. Aid distribution has begun but logistics are still very difficult, says the UN.
The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) announced today (Friday 15 January 2010) that online donations to the Haiti earthquake appeal had hit £2 million in just 36 hours. The sums were raised before the first radio and television appeals.
Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams has said that Anglican agencies worldwide will give concerted support to urgent relief efforts in Haiti following the huge earthquake there, and has urged people to pray and give in response.
Governmental and NGO aid coordinators are being frustrated in their efforts to assist victims of the huge Haiti earthquake by the country's lack of workable infrastructure - but say that redoubling the effort and contributions is the only response.
As the Pope said the Catholic church would respond and Catholic aid agency CAFOD pledged money to the relief effort this afternoon, it emerged that the Catholic archbishop of Port-au-Prince had been killed in the Haiti earthquake.