ADVICE NI and the Consular Asociation of Northern Ireland (CA-NI) are urging people who wish to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to do so as soon as possible.

Anyone who is an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, and wishes to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. EU nationals and their family members who have lived continuously in the UK for five years should be entitled to get Settled Status, meaning they are free to go on living and working in the UK indefinitely.

People with less than five years’ residence can get pre-settled status, which after five years of continuous stay can convert to settled status.

Successful applicants will be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS free of charge, if they can now
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if they are eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK

Applications are open, and the deadline is 30 June 2021. Those who are resident in the UK before the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020 are eligible to apply.

Fiona Magee, Advice NI Deputy Chief Executive, said: “We feel it is extremely important that EU Citizens can continue to work, access health services and continue to send their children to school. We have a dedicated FREEPHONE number – 0800 915 4604 – and email address – [email protected] – with OISC accredited advisers willing to assist with any questions, queries and alleviate any fears people may have about the scheme, as well as completing applications.”

Federica Ferrieri, Honorary Consul for Italy in Northern Ireland and CA-NI lead person on EUSS matters and engagement with EU member countries having representation in Northern Ireland, said: “The Consular Corps of Northern Ireland are committed to signposting EU, EEA and Swiss citizens living in Northern Ireland to OISC-accredited associations that can help them – and especially the vulnerable ones – to get the support they need to successfully submit their application.”

* More information here.

* Source: Advice NI